June 03, 2004
Love & dating...16
When I was still in NUS, one of my favourite activities, besides queueing for strawberry milkshake and niang doufu at the Arts canteen, is to have ostensible revision sessions with my knight. During one of the engaging conversations then, Eugene mentioned that to him, love is like chocolate, the dark kind. It's bitter sweet.
Forgive me if I'm wrong cos I'm really not a choco fan. I guess the really excellent kind of bitter sweet chocolate is the kind that is extremely smooth, not too hard, neither too soft, melts evenly in the mouth, exudes a bitter-sweet taste on the palate, but once swallowed, the taste doesn't linger too long in your mouth. Just enough for you to savour the taste, but not too 'clingy'.
I think a good dream is like bitter sweet chocolate too. It's lovely and you enjoy every minute of it, even though many times, we do know it's only a dream. We want it to go on and on, cos it's so pleasant. But, just like good chocolate does melt and dissolve, good dreams will still come to an end. And we wake up, feeling a dreaded sense of loss. But, we do remember fragments of it. So, we try to dream about our dream in our conscious state. Just like a bitter-sweet after taste, we try to hold on to it until it's clear that it's really gone.
Hard pressed, I would say I like bitter sweet chocolate (vis-a-vis just any chocolate). And I like good dreams. But what I miss most are the dreams I had in my conscious state, the dreamlike reality.
It's the faded line between dream and reality. Sometimes, I don't quite know which side of the line I stand. Then again, maybe I do not want to know.
I do know, however, that the next time I fall from either side, it would be when there's someone there more than ready to catch me.
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 18:36